India grows nine annual oilseed crops and several perennial oil bearing tree crops widely distributed in various agro-ecological niches of the country. Researchers, developmental agencies, policy makers and industries are making concerted efforts to increase oilseed production in the country. To support and sustain their efforts and to have exchange of scientific information and ideas, a strong need was felt for starting a scientific society related to oilseeds to bring together all the personnel, organizations and institutions engaged in research, development of technology and allied products connected with oilseed sector. In the AICRP workshop on oilseed crops held in 1982 at the University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore, the oilseed researchers group proposed to form a scientific society. Accordingly, the Indian Society of Oilseeds Research (ISOR) was launched and got registered in the office of the Registrar of Societies, Hyderabad on 14th December, 1983 (Registration No.2049) under the Andhra Pradesh (Telangana Area) Public Societies Registration Act 1350 Fasli (Act I of 1350F).
Dr. O.P.Gautam and Dr.N.S.Randhwa, the then DGs, ICAR were patrons and Dr. M.V.Rao, former Special DG, ICAR was the first President of ISOR and guided the activities of the society during 1983 to 1990 and 2006 to 2009. Distinguished past presidents of the Society who have strengthened the society by providing constant support to various activities include Dr.R.S.Paroda; Dr.V.L.Chopra; Dr.Mangala Rai; former Secretary, DARE and DG, ICAR, Dr.E.A.Sidiq and Dr. G. Kalloo former DDG(CS), ICAR, and Dr. D. M. Hegde, former Project Director DOR.
ISOR began to publish biannual scientific Journal “Journal of Oilseeds Research” from 1984. Now, the Journal is brought out at regular intervals and has wide circulation with 3.3 NAAS rating.
Since its inception the Society has expanded continuously and has more than 1200 life and 200 annual members respectively. The Society is also organizing National Seminars/ Symposiums and Conferences regularly.
The Executive Council for 2012-13
President : Dr.K.S.Varaprasad
Vice-President : Dr.H.Basappa
General Secretary : Dr.S.V.Ramana Rao
Joint Secretary : Dr.C.Sarada
Treasurer : Dr.G.Suresh
• To bring together all persons, organizations and Institutions interested in or engaged in the field of oilseeds research, development, oil technology and allied products connected with oilseeds. This would provide the workers a forum for exchange of views as well as scientific information.
• To promote the efficiency and usefulness of scientists and technologists engaged in the field of oilseeds and allied products by compliance of rules of membership of the Society and code of ethics evolved by it and to enhance their status by setting up a high standard of scientific and professional proficiency.
• To promote the cause of an all round, rational and economic development of oilseeds, oils and related industries.
• To disseminate information and knowledge among its members and to promote and organize scientific education in the realm of oilseeds and allied products.
• To publish and circulate journals, papers, books and other connected literature furthering the objectives of the Society.
• To establish and maintain liaison with related national and international organisations having similar objectives.
Indian Society of Oilseeds Research,
Directorate of Oilseeds Research,
Rajendranagar, Hyderabad-500 030, A.P. India
Phone: Off: 040-24598132/24598180/24598156