Salient achievements (DOR)
• Facilitated in the development of the world first castor hybrid (GCH-3).
• Evaluation, characterization and maintenance of 3481 germplasm accessions.
• First castor core of 165 accessions has been developed.
• Registered 13 germplasm accessions having important agro-economic traits with PGRC, NBPGR, New Delhi.
• Developed and released 2 varieties and 3 hybrids.
• Succeeded in genetic transformation of castor through Agrobacterium tumefaciens mediated and direct gene transfer methods for castor semilooper.
• Isolated and sequenced a novel Cry1 gene of 3.5 kb size from Bacillus thuringiensis local isolate (DOR Bt-1).
• Identified RAPD markers for testing genetic purity for 10 hybrids.
• Developed and recommended the region specific remunerative cropping systems, cultural practices and nutrient management practices for maximizing the productivity on a sustainable basis.
• Developed two bio-pesticides viz., DOR Bt-1 (KNOCK) to control lepidopteran pests and DOR Trichoderma viride B-16 (TRIVIR) to control soil borne diseases in castor, red gram, chilli and groundnut, registered these two pesticides with the Central Insecticides Board and commercialized these technologies to 37 and 2 private entrepreneurs, respectively.
• Identified deficiency symptoms for nitrogen phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulphur, iron and boron.
• Developed simple, reliable and rapid artificial screening techniques for Botrytis grey rot and wilt.
• Contributed to achieve impressive seed replacement ratio of more than 80%. For large scale and speedier spread of the new castor varieties and hybrids, Seed Village Programme in castor was successfully implemented.
• Evaluation, characterization and maintenance of 1496 germplasm accessions.
• Maintained 570 accessions of 41 Helianthus species collected from USDA, USA and Institute of Field and Vegetable Crops, Yugoslavia and characterized them for major diseases and insect pests.
• Registered 3 accessions having important agro-economic traits with PGRC, NBPGR, New Delhi.
• Developed 2 varieties and 1 hybrid.
• Developed new male sterile cytoplasm in sunflower from Helianthus argophyllus and tagged the fertility restorer gene using sunflower specific simple sequence repeat marker.
• Recommended ideal sustainable crop sequence for sunflower i.e., Sorghum and groundnut in kharif and sorghum and chickpea in rabi for getting higher biological productivity and return.
• Identified deficiency symptoms for nitrogen phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulphur, iron and boron in sunflower.
• Developed simple, reliable and rapid artificial screening techniques for Alternaria leaf spot (Alternaria helianthi) disease.
• Identified thrips as vector and recommended the management package for sunflower necrosis disease.
• Developed a liquid formulation (30% suspension concentrate) of a strain of Beauveria bassiana and licensed to three bio-pesticides entrepreneurs.
• Contributed to achieve impressive seed replacement ratio of more than 90%.
• Evaluation, characterization and maintenance of 6391 germplasm accessions.
• Registered one genetic male sterile line with PGRC, NBPGR, New Delhi.
• Identified accessions tolerant to Alternaria leaf spot (119), Fusarium wilt (457) and aphids (72).
• Developed and released DSH-129, a GMS based first safflower hybrid in India.
• Successfully demonstrated the proof of concept of using heterologous orfH522 gene for induction of male sterility in safflower through transformation of tobacco with male sterility induction gene cassette containing this gene.
• Developed three types of PTGS vectors that produce either hairpin RNA, antisense RNA or brings in silencing by heterologous 3’ untranslated region (SHUTR) for effective restoration of fertility in transgenic male sterile plants.
• Identified deficiency symptoms for nitrogen and iron in safflower.
• Developed simple, reliable and rapid artificial screening techniques for Fusarium wilt disease.